Image taken from an article in “The Nation” on September 18, 2017. A four-tonne elephant was fatally electrocuted at a corn field near the Salakpra Wildlife Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi’s Muang district on Monday morning when it separated from its herd to hunt for food.
Kanchanaburi is the destination of the first Action Week for Year 9, September 26-29, with a focus on community development, ecological literacy, and conflict resolution.
1. Explore some of the digital resources below to help you learn about the places we will visit and experiences planned for us.
- Homepage: Bring the Elephant Home
- Homepage: Elephant Haven
- “Meet Thailand’s Elephant Whisperer” is a feature article about Lek, the Thai woman who founded the Elephant Nature Park (which Elephant Haven is part of).
- Learn more about elephants and their history in Thailand
- Read this Wikipedia entry on “The Elephant Nature Park” — is there any information here you would like to double-check or follow up on?
- Homepage: OurLand
- Read about the activities at OurLand nature reserve
- Watch this wordless video about students experiencing OurLand — can you make a quiz about a wordless video?
- Check out the OurLand Instagram page
- Read this article: “Horror as elephant kills British tourist” (NOTE: “The Day” is an online newspaper we subscribe to — click here for all your library passwords)
- Related article: “Thai elephant attack puts spotlight on abuses in animal tourism trade” in the Guardian
- Watch this video: “Insatiable Neighbors: Understanding Human-Elephant Conflict in Thailand”
- Video on elephant intelligence: “Mirror Self-Recognition in Asian Elephants!”
4. Add your quiz to the same Padlet above when you’re done — so your friends can take your quiz. Go take some of theirs!